"Seek & Ye Shall Find..."

apophenia: n. the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas). 

As an artist, this can come in handy and/or shoot you in the foot. As a Christian, it can leave you stranded in a retention pond of unmet, unrealistic, and unrequited expectations; many are prone to call it prophecy.

It's a delicate danger: a fun game of connect the dots, a mental exercise that is at times far fetched, a bit of a stretch, trying too hard, "an artistic puzzling together."

The fun part is I bring this up all the time. It's one of my favorite things about being a creative and also my greatest concern. Out of it comes a brand, an aesthetic; perhaps it grows a bravado that's more genuine, less borrowed from others who've gone before you.

I love that I've interrogated myself over this tendency for years ("Is this happening or am I searching for it?") and only just now - as in moments ago - stumbled upon what it is and what it means. This is the epitome of #birdstuff, of finding gems of broken glass at my feet everywhere I go, of ascribing meaning to certain phrases or glances or symbols. Common objects seem to weave a story around me on their own that I gather up and sew into a sunlit narrative that's constantly running in the background, collecting playlists and moodboards. This strange habit/phenomenon has a name. Perhaps I am behind it entirely. Perhaps it will grow an album.

*shrug*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missive from the Kitchen